Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Fighting Fantasy Gamebooks|
|Location:||Isles of the Dawn, Titan|
|Author(s):|| Paul Mason &|
|Cover illustrator:||Terry Oakes|
|First published:||July 26 1990|
|Previous Book:||Master of Chaos|
|Next Book:||The Keep of the Lich-Lord|
|Wizard (Series 1)|
|Wizard (Series 2)|
Black Vein Prophecy is a single-player role-playing gamebook written by Paul Mason and Steven Williams, illustrated by Terry Oakes and originally published in 1990 by Puffin Books. It forms part of Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone's Fighting Fantasy series. It is the 42nd in the series in the original Puffin series (ISBN 0-14-034057-2). There are currently no announced plans to republish this book as part of the Wizard series.
“ The ancient Prophecy must be fulfilled!
In the mysterious Isles of the Dawn, ancient forces are returning from the past, bringing chaos and war. Their intention is to wrest power from the Child-King and regain their evil rule. It is up to YOU to bring peace to the land once more.
But who are you? Woken, it seems, from the dead, you have only unreliable fragments of memory to go on. You must discover your own identity before the Black Vein Prophecy can finally be fulfilled!
Part story, part game, this is a book in which YOU become the hero! Two dice, a pencil and an eraser are all you need. YOU decide which routes to take, which dangers to risk and which foes to fight.
In this book the player's scores are determined the first few paragraphs of the adventure itself, rather than by following instructions in the "Rules" section.
The player begins with no equipment at all, but early on can collect the following:
- Great Sword
- 5 Provisions
Cover and IllustrationsEdit
- Main article: Black Vein Prophecy (illustrations)
The original cover of the book was designed and illustrated by Terry Oakes.
|No. Spine Only||No Bronze-Foil|
- Price of 1st Impression
- Price of 5th Impression. Note that the colour map is not included in this edition.
The interior illustrations were by Terry Oakes. There were 30 full page illustrations and 6 minor repeated illustrations scattered throughout the text. The paragraphs with a full page illustration were: 1, 8, 20, 42, 51, 61, 79, 102, 121, 133, 147, 158, 169, 180, 190, 222, 236, 253, 261, 276, 286, 302, 310, 336, 344, 366, 382, 389, 392 and 399.
The colour map on the inside front cover was by Leo Hartas.
The Crimson Tide is something of a sequel in that the main character of that book meets several characters from Black Vein Prophecy, including the player character from the successful ending to that book, who is now a king.
- Panurge - Priest
- Poo Ta
- Wol Nikko - Mercenary Leader
- Feior's Officer
- Humans - Blinded Bandit/Jungle Men/Maddened Criminal /Mutated Bandit/Robber/Slave Trader/Slavers/Soldiers
- Man-Horse Mutant
- Mirror Image (The player fights themselves)
- Pool Beast
- As the player begins with no knowledge of anything the book begins straight into the adventure with no "Background" setting out the context of the adventure.
- In a printing error the "Adventure Sheet" is printed on pages 6 and 7 instead of 8 and 9 and the "Introduction" on page 9 instead of page 7.
- (49) should link to (375) instead of (197).
- (160) should link to (395) instead of (394).
- (187) should tell you to write down "187" instead of "152".
- (190) should link to (19) instead of (29).
- (325) should tell you to write down "325" instead of "152".
To the staff of Beijing House, Wandsworth,
to Tim of Shropshire, to Susana to Poppy, and
to the gods of Perseve ...
- Character Sheet
- Fighting Fantasy at Gamebooks.org
- Black Vein Prophecy at Gamebooks.org
- Black Vein Prophecy at the Internet Archive record of the old Fightingfantasy.com