Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Fighting Fantasy Gamebooks|
|Cover illustrator:||David Gallagher|
|First published:||July 27 1989|
|Number||39 (no number in original printing)|
|Previous Book:||Vault of the Vampire|
|Next Book:||Dead of Night|
|Wizard (Series 1)|
|Wizard (Series 2)|
- For other uses of Fangs of Fury, see Fangs of Fury (disambiguation)
Fangs of Fury is a single-player role-playing gamebook written by Luke Sharp, illustrated by Martin McKenna and originally published in 1989 by Puffin Books. It forms part of Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone's Fighting Fantasy series. It is the 39th in the series in the original Puffin series (ISBN 0-14-032935-8). There are currently no announced plans to republish this book as part of the Wizard series.
“ The fire of the Sentinels must be rekindled!
Six massive stone dragons guard the tiny kingdom of Zamarra. But the fire they breathe has been extinguished. And now Zamarra is under siege by Ostragoth the Grim and his swarming hordes. His aim is to destroy the twelve wizards of the Mage-Order and spread the evil of the enchanter Jaxartes throughout Khul! The Sentinels' fire must be restored to its former power - and YOU have volunteered for the task! Your terrifying mission will take you to the white-hot core of the volcano known as the FANGS OF FURY and there is no time to lose!
Part story, part game, this is a book in which YOU become the hero! YOU decide which routes to take, which dangers to risk and which foes to fight.
This book features an appearance from Astragal, a recurring character in Luke Sharp's books. It shares similarities with his previous book, Daggers of Darkness in that there is an emphasis on random dice rolls. There is also a similar time limit system which results in the player's death if the adventure is not completed in time.
How to Fight the Creatures of ZamarraEdit
- In another variation on the time score of previous books, the player is fitting with a bracelet that glows each time one of the fourteen walls that defend Zamarra falls. If all fourteen fall then the bracelet kills the player. The walls are indicated on the Character sheet by a depiction of a piece of wall with a flag which is shaded in when the wall falls.
- Leather Armour
- 10 Provisions
- Choice of one of three Potions (see Game System for generic fantasy setting choices)
- 10 Gold Coins
- 4 Black Cubes
Cover and IllustrationsEdit
- Main article: Fangs of Fury (illustrations)
The original cover of the book was designed and illustrated by David Gallagher.
|Dragon No No.||No. Spine Only||No Bronze-Foil|
- Price of 1st Impression
- Price of 3rd~5th Impressions
- Price of 10th Impression.
The interior illustrations were by David Gallagher. There were 31 full page illustrations and 6 minor repeated illustrations scattered throughout the text. The paragraphs with a full page illustration were: 1, 13, 26, 39, 52, 65, 78, 91, 104, 117, 130, 143, 156, 169, 182, 195, 208, 221, 234, 247, 259, 273, 286, 299, 312, 325, 338, 363, 376, 389 and 399.
The colour map on the inside front cover was by Steve Luxton.
- Captain Laski
- Cloris - Elf
- Jaxartes - Enchanter
- King Elidor
- Morgrek - Wizard
- Ostragoth the Grim
- Snuffserk - Chancellor
- Bay of Sharks
- Blue Potamos
- Citadel of Zamarra
- Hei-okji Monastery
- Homrath Caves
- Karakum Island
- Minak Sikla (The Great Marsh)
- Salik's Way
- The Dwarf's Hammer
- The Ferret's Claws
- The Gannet's Nest
- White Potamos
- Beast Of Fury
- Black Feeler Beast
- Black Rider
- Double-Headed Devil
- Fire Demons
- Flame Serpents
- Flame Warriors
- Giant Crab
- Goblin - Executioner/Guard/Irregular/Regular
- Horned Devil
- Humans - Bodyguard Knight/Cart Driver/Elite Knight/Irregulars/Rogue Catcher/Rogues/Rogue Sailor/Squires
- Mage Warriors of Jaxartes
- Marsh Fiend
- Marsh Goblins
- Orcs - Bridge Guard/Great/Guard/Mounted/Regular
- Schizoid Genie
- The Thing
- Wild Boar
- Yourself (The player fights themselves)
- 7 instant failures, 1 victory, plus death by bracelet (see Rules section above), stamina loss or bad luck.
- The copyright page identifies the author by his real name, Alkis Alkiviades, rather than the pseudonym "Luke Sharp".
- Character Sheet
- Fighting Fantasy at Gamebooks.org
- Fangs of Fury at Gamebooks.org
- Fangs of Fury at the Internet Archive record of the old Fightingfantasy.com