|Fighting Fantasy Gamebooks|
|Cover illustrator:||David Gallagher|
|First published:||February 23 1989|
|Number||37 (no number in original printing)|
|Previous Book:||Armies of Death|
|Next Book:||Vault of the Vampire|
|Wizard (Series 1)|
|Wizard (Series 2)|
- For other uses of Portal of Evil, see Portal of Evil (disambiguation)
Portal of Evil is a single-player role-playing gamebook written by Peter Darvill-Evans, illustrated by Alan Langford and originally published in 1989 by Puffin Books. It forms part of Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone's Fighting Fantasy series. It is the 37th in the series in the original Puffin series (ISBN 0-14-032839-4). There are currently no announced plans to republish this book as part of the Wizard series.
“ Evil forces have been awoken!
No one has ever set foot in the dense forest lying to the west of the Cloudhigh Mountains ... until now. Gold fever has hit these inhospitable woodlands and the consequences are terrifying! Some deadly, ancient evil has been disturbed and the whole area is suddenly terrorised by mysterious prehistoric creatures.
It is up to YOU, a renowned and hardy adventurer, to destroy this ancient evil before it is too late.
Part story, part game, this is a book in which YOU become the hero! Two dice, a pencil and an eraser are all you need. YOU decide which routes to take, which dangers to risk and which foes to fight.
The area surrounding the Cloudhigh Mountains has been beset with gold fever after several successful strikes, but the digging has uncovered an ancient Evil alongside the precious metal. The player must locate the source of the strange monsters which have besieged the region, the titular portal, and travel through it in order to put an end to the threat.
How to Vanquish the Portal of EvilEdit
Cover and IllustrationsEdit
- Main article: Portal of Evil (illustrations)
The original cover of the book was designed and illustrated by David Gallagher.
|Dragon No No.||No. Spine Only||No Bronze-Foil|
- Price of 1st Impression
- Price of 3rd~4th Impressions
The interior illustrations were by Alan Langford. There were 30 full page illustrations and 7 minor repeated illustrations scattered throughout the text. The paragraphs with a full page illustration were: 1, 14, 22, 27, 42, 53, 62, 82, 102, 120, 130, 139, 152, 163, 179, 196, 205, 215, 237, 263, 273, 286, 305, 319, 329, 342, 358, 372, 385 and 395.
The colour map on the inside front cover was by Leo Hartas.
- Anxis the Hunter
- Einbol - Dwarf
- Margrave of Kleinkastel
- Trella - Wood Elf
- Beyond the Portal of Evil
- Cloudhigh Mountains
- Lake Mlubz
- Mlubz Desert
- Armoured Mole
- Carnivorous Ape
- Dwarf Boatman
- Giant Brown Bear
- Giant Centipede
- Giant Spider
- Giant Watersnail
- Graptor Tree
- Humans - Soldier
- Slave Warriors - Dwarven/Elven/Gnome/Guard/Regular
- Vampire Bat
- Strangely, the title page of the book does not feature an illustration as other gamebooks have usually done, something unrepeated till Darvill-Evans' next book Spectral Stalkers and then standard from Moonrunner onwards to the end of the range.
- Oddly, the instructions section at the start of the book features no page numbers and the "Contents" page gives incorrect page numbers to the contents of the book. For example, the Adventure Sheet in on page 12, not page 14.
For Chris and Amy
- Character Sheet
- Fighting Fantasy at Gamebooks.org
- Portal of Evil at Gamebooks.org
- Portal of Evil at the Internet Archive record of the old Fightingfantasy.com