|Fighting Fantasy Gamebooks|
|Author(s):||Steve Jackson (2)|
|Cover illustrator:||Duncan Smith|
|First published:||September 27 1984|
|Previous Book:||Island of the Lizard King|
|Next Book:||Caverns of the Snow Witch|
|Wizard (Series 1)|
|Wizard (Series 2)|
- For other uses of Scorpion Swamp, see Scorpion Swamp
Scorpion Swamp is a single-player role-playing gamebook written by Steve Jackson (2) (the American game designer, rather than the series co-creator), illustrated by Duncan Smith and originally published in 1984 by Puffin Books. It forms part of Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone's Fighting Fantasy series. It is the 8th in the series in the original Puffin series (ISBN 0-14-031829-1). There are currently no announced plans to republish this book as part of the Wizard series.
“ Nightmarish creatures lurk in the slimy depths of Scorpion Swamp!
You're no fool. All your life you've heard tales of Scorpion Swamp and how it is criss-crossed with treacherous paths leading to the haunts of its disgusting denizens. One step out of place spells a certain and lingering death. But now, the swamp holds out the lure of treasure and glory - and you cannot resist the challenge!
Two dice, a pencil and an eraser are all you need to make your journey. YOU decide which way to go, which dangers to risk and which monsters to fight.
Unlike other Fighting Fantasy gamebooks, Scorpion Swamp allows the player to choose one of three quests — each from a patron who is either Good, Evil or Neutral. The gameplay has a non-linear design, allowing the user to explore the swamp at will and return to locations previously visited, a first for the series.
Players choose from one of the following quests:
A group of powerful wizards, known as "Masters", have taken up residence in the swamp. These wizards each bear a magic amulet which is the source of their power. The Evil warlock Grimslade pays the player to retrieve as many of these amulets as possible.
A local trader by the name of Poomchukker wants to send caravans through the swamp to Willowbend. Doing so would save weeks of travel time, but he needs a map. The player must make his way from the southern side of the swamp to the northern end, and return a map to Poomchukker showing him the route.
How to Fight the Creatures of Scorpion Swamp/Equipment/Magic/Mapping/Hints on PlayEdit
In the course of events in the "Background" the player obtains a Brass Ring which points to true North and becomes warm in the presence of Evil.
Cover and IllustrationsEdit
- Main article: Scorpion Swamp (illustrations)
The original cover of the book was designed and illustrated by Duncan Smith.
|Zig-Zag Banner||Dragon Format||Dragon No Number||Dragon Number Spine Only||Dragon No Bronze Foil|
- Price of 1st~2nd Impressions; £1.95 for 8th Impression
- Price of 9th~10th Impressions
The interior illustrations were by Duncan Smith. There were 32 full page illustrations and 7 minor repeated illustrations scattered throughout the text. The paragraphs with a full page illustration were: 1, 4, 14, 27, 40, 53, 59, 66, 79, 92, 105, 118, 131, 144, 157, 170, 183, 196, 209, 222, 235, 248, 261, 275, 290, 305, 320, 335, 350, 375, 388 and 398.
- Brigand Leader - Brigand
- Brigands - Brigand
- Giant - Giant
- Grimslade - Wizard
- Master of Frogs - Wizard
- Master of Gardens - Wizard
- Master of Spiders - Wizard
- Mistress of Birds - Wizard
- Poomchukker - Merchant
- Ranger - Ranger
- Selator - Wizard
- Thief - Thief
- Foulbrood River
- Halicar Dealer in Potions and Spells
- King's Highway
- Scorpion Swamp
- Tancred's Flying Horse
- The Bent Spear
- The Black Bear
- Brigand Leader
- Crab Grass
- Dire Beast
- Giant Frogs
- Giant Scorpion
- Giant Spider
- Goblin Statue
- Master of Gardens
- Master of Spiders
- Master of Wolves
- Pool Beast
- Swamp Orcs
- Sword Trees
- 20 instant failures, not counting death by stamina loss or bad luck.
- This was the first Fighting Fantasy book to be written by an author other than the two series co-creators.
- The book has three different successful endings and unlike most of the other Fighting Fantasy books the 400th reference does not contain a successful ending to the adventure.
- This is the first Fighting Fantasy gamebook set in the continent of Khul, although this was not made explicit until the release of Titan - The Fighting Fantasy World in 1986.
- In Scorpion Swamp, the Foulbrood River flows west to east. In the map of Khul in Titan - The Fighting Fantasy World, the river flows north-east to south-west.
Dedicated to my mother —
my first writing coach,
and still the best
With thanks to the play-testers:
Allen Varney, Monica Stephens,
C. Mara Lee, Gerald Swick,
and Jerry Self
- Character Sheet - Retrieved 2015-09-05
- Fighting Fantasy at Gamebooks.org - Retrieved 2015-09-05
- Scorpion Swamp at Gamebooks.org - Retrieved 2015-09-05
- Scorpion Swamp at the Internet Archive record of the old Fightingfantasy.com - Retrieved 2015-09-05
- ↑ Scorpion Swamp - Back Cover ("Golden Dragon" Edition)
- ↑ Scorpion Swamp - 205
- ↑ Scorpion Swamp - 371
- ↑ Scorpion Swamp - 206
- ↑ Scorpion Swamp - 173
- ↑ Scorpion Swamp - p.15
- ↑ Scorpion Swamp - p.16
- ↑ Scorpion Swamp - p.28
- ↑ Scorpion Swamp - 359
- ↑ Scorpion Swamp - 339, 369
- ↑ Titan - The Fighting Fantasy World - p.23/37