|Fighting Fantasy Gamebooks|
|Location:||Isle of Despair, Titan|
|Cover illustrator:||David Gallagher|
|First published:||July 28 1988|
|Previous Book:||Sky Lord|
|Next Book:||Daggers of Darkness|
|Wizard (Series 1)|
|Wizard (Series 2)|
Stealer of Souls is a single-player role-playing gamebook written by Keith Martin, illustrated by Russ Nicholson and originally published in 1988 by Puffin Books. It forms part of Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone's Fighting Fantasy series. It is the 34th in the series in the original Puffin series (ISBN 0-14-032658-8). There are currently no announced plans to republish this book as part of the Wizard series.
“ Sheer terror awaits you on the Isle of Despair!
The name Mordraneth strikes fear into the hearts of all who dwell in Titan.
Now he has found a way to unleash a magical army of fear upon the land. The wizard Alsander has been kidnapped and you must rescue him from the Isle of Despair. But will you also enter the Empire of Illusion, confront Mordraneth and save Titan?
Two dice, a pencil and an eraser are all you need. YOU decide which paths to take, which dangers to risk and which foes to fight!
In this book the player accepts a quest from Vanestin of Pollua, a mage, who wishes the player to rescue the wizard Alsander. To do this the player must travel to the Isle of Despair, a small island just off the eastern coast of the Island of Scars, which itself is located somewhat to the east of the continent of Allansia.
Cover and IllustrationsEdit
- Main article: Stealer of Souls (illustrations)
The original cover of the book was designed and illustrated by David Gallagher.
|Dragon Format||Dragon No No.||No. Spine Only||No Bronze-Foil|
- Price of 1st Impression; £2.50 for 2nd Impression
The interior illustrations were by Russ Nicholson. There were 30 full page illustrations and 6 minor repeated illustrations scattered throughout the text. The paragraphs with a full page illustration were: 1, 10, 25, 52, 61, 75, 93, 102, 112, 128, 147, 169, 183, 191, 208, 216, 239, 248, 261, 274, 289, 296, 307, 331, 343, 354, 365, 379, 392, and 400.
The colour map on the inside front cover was by Leo Hartas.
- Alsander - Wizard
- Captain Garaeth - Captain of the Petrel
- Mordraneth - Dark Mage
- Vanestin - Mage
- Dawnmist Mountains
- Great Marsh
- Ironcap Mountains
- Iron Crypts
- Island of Scars
- Isle of Despair
- Lake Silver
- Skull Bay
- Thunder Hills
- Cave Snake
- Dark Elves
- Death Skull
- Giant Stormbirds
- Half-Ogre Torturer
- Humans - Dark Priests/Guards/Natives
- Illusions - Beetle/Eagle/Skeletal/Spider
- Rat Men
- Razorbeak Bird
- Sea Giant
- Skeletons - Man/Skeletal Warrior
- Skull Crab
- Stone Golem
- (287) asks if you want to go "west" or "west", with the choice leading to (106) being east.
- Character Sheet
- Fighting Fantasy at Gamebooks.org
- Stealer of Souls at Gamebooks.org
- Stealer of Souls at the Internet Archive record of the old Fightingfantasy.com
- Per Jorner reviews Stealer of Souls at the group fighting_fantasy_gamebooks
- ↑ Stealer of Souls - Back Cover ("Golden Dragon" Edition)