|skill||10 (Major); 8 (Minor)|
|stamina||15 (Major); 11 (Minor)|
|Weapon Used||Scythe (as per Pole Arm)|
|Habitat||Dungeons, Ruins, Anywhere their master is|
Origins and DistributionEdit
The Thassaloss is a type of magical guardian and similar in function to the many varieties of Golem. There are two kinds: the Minor Thassaloss, which is still a very formidable adversary, and the Major Thassaloss, which is often the most powerful guardian of any prominent evil-doer.
The instructions given to a Thassaloss are limited to staying in one spot to guard a door or treasure, and to attack anyone who enters, except their master.
The Thassaloss is a four-armed humanoid Skeleton of yellowed bones, with glowing green eye-sockets. Two of its arms wield a large black scythe. The Major Thassaloss is apparently much larger in size than the Minor Thassaloss. However, the bones used to construct them both appear to be Human in size and shape.
- During combat the Thassaloss can shoot a green ray of freezing cold from its eye sockets, at its victim. This will happen every Attack Round regardless of whether or not the Thassaloss wins the Attack Round or not. The strength of this chilling attack depends on the type of Thassaloss.
- If you face a Minor Thassaloss, roll one die every Attack Round. On a roll of 1-3, the ray strikes you and you must deduct 1 point of stamina. On a roll of 4-6, you manage to dodge the ray.
- If you face a Major Thassaloss, roll one die every Attack Round. On a roll of 1-5, the ray strikes you and you must deduct 1 point of stamina. On a roll of 6, you manage to dodge the ray.
- It is important to note that the Thassaloss is a specially enchanted creature and not one of the Undead, despite its skeletal appearance. As a result, it is not affected by Undead-only spells, such as Jandor's Bolt.
- However, any Thassaloss can be killed instantly by the Shatter spell, which will snap its spine in two.
- Of the two Thassalossi found in Castle Heydrich, the Minor Thassaloss was guarding a chest containing the Silver Chainmail of Siegfried Heydrich.. The Major Thassaloss was guarding the entrance to the crypt of Reiner Heydrich.
- Curiously, there was no Thassaloss in Revenge of the Vampire, suggesting that Reiner Heydrich may have lost the knowledge to create them following his defeat in Vault of the Vampire. Alternatively, he may just have moved on to more effective creations such as the Corpse Golem since the Thassalosses had failed to protect his castle in the last adventure.