|Mini Fighting Fantasy Adventures|
|First published:||December 1984|
|Publication:||Warlock (Issue 3)|
|Previous Mini-FF:||Caverns of the Snow Witch|
|Next Mini-FF:||The Dark Usurper|
- For other uses of House of Hell, see House of Hell
The House of Hell is a single-player role-playing mini adventure written by Steve Jackson, and illustrated by Tim Sell. It was published in 1984 in Issue 3 of Warlock by Puffin Books. The adventure was a truncated and altered version of the full gamebook: "The rooms have been jumbled, there are some cunning secret passages to find and the important clues are in totally different places." It also lost the definite article from the title and became House of Hell for its publication that same year (although the title picture for the short version is also without the definite article).
The game ends with the defeat of the Earl of Drumer rather than the extended ending of the full gamebook.
The player's car breaks down and they venture to the nearest house in search of a phone.
How to Survive the House of HellEdit
- The House of Hell uses a fear score in addition to the usual scores. Every time the player encounters some particularly disturbing event, they must add between 1 and 3 fear points to the total fear score. Once the character reaches the maximum score, determined at the beginning of the game, they will quite literally die of fright.
- As the book is set on modern day Earth, the reader is unarmed at the start of the book and suffers a skill penalty of 3 points until they find a weapon.
The player begins with no equipment or Provisions.
The illustrations were by Tim Sell. There were 19 full page (or equivalent) illustrations and 6 minor repeated illustrations (with all the minor illustrations in the full gamebook) scattered throughout the text. The paragraphs with a full page illustration were (* indicates an illustration not in the full gamebook): Title card*, 1, 11, 23, 32, 44, 56, 64, 76, 87*, 99*, 110, 122, 132, 142, 155*, 165, 176 and 185.
- The Albemarie
- The Astor Room
- The Fortesque Room
- The Gordelia Room
- The House of Drummer
- The Lucretia Room
- The Master Suite
- The Rousseau Room
- Great Danes
- Humans - Devil-Worshipper/Man in White/Men/The Master's Servant
- Invisible Enemy
- The Earl of Drummer
- 7 instant failures, 1 victory, plus death by stamina loss, bad luck or lacking the correct weapon.
- "Drumer" is an anagram of "murder".
- The adventure was printed with the "Adventure Sheet" from The Citadel of Chaos which lists magic and "Magic Spells "instead of "Items".
- (12) has the references for Lucky and Unlucky swapped. Lucky should turn to (95) and Unlucky to (127).
- If the player goes from (131) to (123) they end up getting a fear point twice for the same discovery.
- Fighting Fighting at Gamebooks.org
- The House of Hell at Gamebooks.org
- Warlock at Gamebooks.org
- Warlock #3 at Gamebooks.org