|Fighting Fantasy Gamebooks|
|Cover illustrator:||Brian Williams|
|First published:||June 26 1986|
|Previous Book:||Sword of the Samurai|
|Next Book:||Robot Commando|
|Wizard (Series 1)|
|Cover illustrator:||Martin McKenna|
|First published:||May 22 2003|
|Previous Book:||Sorcery! 2: Kharé - Cityport of Traps|
|Next Book:||Sorcery! 3: The Seven Serpents|
|Wizard (Series 2)|
|Cover illustrator:||Martin McKenna|
|First published:||September 2nd 2010|
|Previous Book:||Howl of the Werewolf|
|Next Book:||Curse of the Mummy|
- For other uses of Trial of Champions, see Trial of Champions
Trial of Champions is a single-player role-playing gamebook, written by Ian Livingstone, illustrated by Brian Williams and originally published in 1986 by Puffin Books. It was later republished by Wizard Books in 2003. It forms part of Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone's Fighting Fantasy series. It is the 21st in the series in the original Puffin series (ISBN 0-14-032039-3) and 12th in the Wizard "Series 1" (ISBN 1-84046-434-8) and 12th in "Series 2" (ISBN 1-84831-193-1).
“ At last – a return to Deathtrap Dungeon!
The warped, twisted mind of Baron Sukumvit has completely redesigned the deadly labyrinth of Fang. New traps and terrors, mazes and monsters, await you at every turn. And even before you can enter the labyrinth, you must endure the gladiatorial games of Lord Carnuss, the Baron's evil brother, whose unwilling slave you are. Can you survive this trial of Champions and free yourself from slavery?
Two dice, a pencil and an eraser are all you need for this adventure. YOU decide which route to follow, which dangers to risk and which monsters to fight.
The player assumes the role of a slave of Lord Carnuss. His brother, Baron Sukumvit has revised the dungeon from the original book and is offering 20,000 Gold Pieces to anyone who can survive it. The main objective is to pass through the dungeon and be freed from slavery - but first the player must survive rigorous gladiatorial training, along with forty-one other 'contesters'.
- The book in general follows the original rules set down in The Warlock of Firetop Mountain (see Game System).
- In the Wizard "Series 2" edition, instead of rolling the stats for a character as per tradition in Fighting Fantasy gamebooks, the player has the option of choosing a pregenerated character from three choices (see "Further Notes" below for choices).
Cover and IllustrationsEdit
- Main article: Trial of Champions (illustrations)
The original cover of the book was designed and illustrated by Brian Williams.
When the book was republished by Wizard a new cover was designed and illustrated by Martin McKenna, based on a brief from writer Ian Livingstone. McKenna stayed true to the design of the Skeleton King as it features in the internal illustrations. Their 2010 edition makes use of a section of the previous edition's cover art.
|Zig-Zag Banner||Dragon Format||Dragon No No.||No. Spine Only||No Bronze-Foil|
- Price of 1st~3rd Impressions
- Price of 7th Impression
- Price of 8th Impression
- Price of 9th~10th Impressions
The interior illustrations were by Brian Williams. There were 32 full page illustrations and 5 minor repeated illustrations scattered throughout the text. The paragraphs with a full page illustration were: 3, 13, 26, 37, 46, 61, 74, 88, 100, 113, 125, 143, 156, 168, 182, 195, 205, 211, 219, 232, 246, 275, 288, 304, 318, 329, 340, 353, 364, 374, 386 and 398.
Prequels and SequelsEdit
It is a sequel to previous Fighting Fantasy book Deathtrap Dungeon. It was followed-up by the later book Armies of Death, where the hero uses the proceeds of their winning the Trial to fund an army to oppose the evil Demon Agglax.
d20 System ConversionEdit
- Main article: Trial of Champions (d20)
- Bone Devils
- Fire Demon
- Fire Imp
- Giant Centipede
- Giant Spider
- Hill Troll
- Humans - Chaos Champion/Easterner/Eastern Warlord/Fighting Slave/Southerner/Slave
- Liche Queen
- Lord Carnuss
- Orcs - Mutant/Regular
- Skeleton King
- Two-Headed Dog
- Vampire Bats
- Xoroa Warriors
- The 17th impression of The Citadel of Chaos (1986) has Trial of Champions listed as book number 20.
Series 2 AdditionsEdit
- Pre-generated player characters: Arran Gottspeed, Baldar Liefsson, and Ariel Elfhart.
- 10 paragraphs from Deathtrap Dungeon.
For Steve Jackson
- Character Sheet
- Fighting Fantasy at Gamebooks.org
- Fighting Fantasy (Wizard Series 1) at Gamebooks.org
- Fighting Fantasy (Wizard Series 2) at Gamebooks.org
- Trial of Champions at Gamebooks.org
- Trial of Champions at the Internet Archive record of the old Fightingfantasy.com
- ↑ Trial of Champions - Back Cover ("Golden Dragon" Edition)